“Use Your Words” invites kids to participate in silly role-playing games and to work on putting words to the different feelings we and others may have - the essence of empathy. When a fictitious dog eats all of the birthday cakes in the world, we ask our kiddos to talk through how they’d feel about a birthday without a cake. Hearing others’ stories helps us appreciate other perspectives and gives voice to our own feelings. But we’re not just going to let that dog keep all the cakes - we have to fix this catastrophe...right?! We’ll then call upon our creativity and problem solving skills so kids around the world will no longer suffer from dastardly work of the overzealous cake hound. Kids have fun with this one, and you’ll notice a big DiF-ference in your child’s communication and empathy skills.
- 6/23 & 6/24: 10am-10:45am CST or 5pm-5:45pm CST
- 7/14 & 7/15: 1pm-1:45pm CST or 7pm-7:45pm CST
- 8/11 & 8/12: 11am-11:45am CST or 4pm-4:45pm CST
The Debate It Forward Big 3 Skills focus on developing and improving our Listening, Thinking, and Speaking skills by building the following micro-skills into our curriculum. They include the following focal points:
- LISTENING: Active Listening, Perspective Taking, Empathy, and Cooperation
- THINKING: Creative Thinking, Logical Reasoning, Problem-Solving
- SPEAKING: Confidence, Story-Telling, Public Speaking